Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Robot Librarians!!!

You guys, I just found my new best friends. They are short, they work in a library, and they happen to be robots. No, I'm not talking about the Nodes from the Doctor Who episode "Silence in the Library" (although I love those guys).
via the Tardis Wikia
I'm talking about actual robots! The Westport Library in Connecticut purchased two robots. They teach patrons to code, but they can also play soccer, practice tai chi, and pick themselves up when they fall!

Aren't they the cutest little things you've ever seen?! I want one to be the Johnny Five to my Ally Sheedy! (That was an 80's movie reference. It might be before your time, but that's okay. If you haven't seen Short Circuit and the somehow superior Short Circuit 2, watch them now!)

We also found a cool illustration and description of the Mansueto Library at the University of Chicago. Most of the library is underground, full of millions of books. You can request a book from the card catalog, and the bin the book is in will rise to the main level, allowing you to retrieve it! The librarians can also put them back with ease. They hardly ever misshelve or lose a book. How cool is that?!

That makes us wonder--in your dream library, what would a robot librarian do? Comment with your take!

0 comments:

Post a Comment